Two Poncho Shelter--improvised

When things don't go as planned...
Very simple two-poncho shelter
with ridgeline

I was excited to try the different two-poncho shetler arrangements from the article on November 11.  I used two Outdoor Products Adult Poncho 56X80 (Amazon link, not an affiliate).  This model of poncho is nowhere near the miltary-grade ponchos that a lot of folks have--but it is a common one, I see it around a lot.  It also does have gromments, takes up a small amount of space, and I've used one to make a very small emergency shelter on several occasions.  A ridge line and two tent stakes makes a decent lean-to or low-profile a-frame tent.

The first problem right off the bat is that the snaps/connectors are inadequate for connecting two ponchos together to make one larger tarp.  After several attempts and the snaps comming un-snapped, I changed plans and jut made a lean-to with one poncho and used the other as a ground cloth.  With a fire pit a good 3 feet away, that would allow me to stay warm through a not-too-cold night.  

Another option would be to face two lean-to ponchos together with space in between and a fire between the two of them.  I didn't configure that in this test, but it's been done before.

Look for ways to be flexible and use the gear that you have!



Comments